How To Help
From Civilization V Wiki
What is the Civ V Wiki?
The Civ V Wiki is a website for Civilization V collaboratively written by many of its developers and fans. Many people, like yourself, are constantly adding to and improving its articles with information and updates, all of which are recorded on article histories and recent changes. See the About Civ V Wiki page for more information on the history and vision of the Civ V Wiki.
What can I do?
There are plenty of areas that are in need of love and attention. Even if you're new to Civ or wikis, there are plenty of ways you can help out and contribute to the growing Wiki:
- If you were browsing around and ran across a red link (pointing to a missing page), you are welcome to officially add and edit it.
- As the game is constantly changing and being updated, lots of information will become out of date (particularly in the number tables.) If you see a value which you know as changed, update it.
- You can help conform articles to a relevant formatting guide and check for good grammar, or help clarify any information already written.
- You could also fill out incomplete articles by writing missing sections.
- The discussion tab on every page is a great place to share ideas and help shape the future of the Wiki.
How does editing work?
New users are encouraged to create an account so that contributions are properly attributed to them. This also makes it easier for other users to contact you. The content on this site can be edited through any internet browser, with no additional software. If you've never used wiki markup language before, consult any of these links:
When editing an article, if your changes are only limited to a small section, it is a good practice to use the edit link of the enclosing section. If your changes involve several different sections, consider using the edit link at the top of the page instead of editing one section at a time. Try to use "Show Preview" to check or verify your changes before saving. There's also an option for saving as a minor edit for small or trivial changes like spelling errors.
What can I edit?
Don't be afraid to make an edit or sign up for an account. Any user can edit almost any article and we encourage you to join in and be an active user! If you see content, grammar, or even just presentation that you think can be improved, go ahead and make it better.
Most articles share some form of categorical formatting to give similar articles some consistency. We encourage users to browse the guidelines and templates or glance through similar articles before changing any formatting. Of course, don't let this stop you - someone else will undoubtedly fix any minor formatting issues.
Remember, you can't break the Wiki - anything can be fixed. So go ahead, edit an article, make a page, and help make this the best source of information on Civ V!
When starting to edit for the first time, please review these common pitfalls so you don't accidentally fall into their ranks:
- Copying content from other wikis or fansites - this could violate any number of copyright laws. Don't do it.
- Assuming that this wiki follows the conventions of other wikis or fansites - Most wikis and sites have their own formatting and presentation guidelines, and they rarely mesh well together.
- Believing that information on this site directly represents 2KGames, Firaxis, or its employees - While it's true that some 2K employees are active on the Wiki, this is primarily a fan-driven site.
- Taking complete control of any submitted content - anyone may edit any page, including ones created by you.