From Civilization V Wiki
Below is a list of various tutorials to assist you in developing an amazing Civilization V mod.
Kael's Modders Guide
Kael, the lead designer and creator of Fall from Heaven 2, has created a Modder's Guide with all his first hand experience in modding. If you want to learn how to use the SDK tools for Civilization V, then this guide is for you. Kael's guide will show you all of the tools and some brief modding examples to get your feet wet. The final section of the guide is dedicated to Mod Design, and if you want to become a serious modder, this section is an essential read. You can download the guide from this link: (Right-click & Save to download)
Dale's Mod Blog
Dale Kent is an acclaimed modder of the Civilization series. He is the creator of such Civilization IV mods as Dales Combat Mod which expanded greatly the combat mechanics of the game, The Road to War the World War II full conversion mod which featured in Beyond the Sword, and Age of Discovery II which for most people became the de-facto way to play Civilization IV: Colonization. Dale will be publishing Civilization V modding tutorials on his blog: Dale's Mod Blog.
Intro to Modding Civ 5
- Civilization 5 Modding Explained - an overview of the modding tools available for Civilization V as well as how they all tie together to help the modder bring their ideas to reality.
- The modinfo and civ5mod files - a detailed explanation of the two core files of any Civilization V mod: the modinfo and civ5mod files. An in-depth explanation of how to create your own Civilization V mods without using the mod tools.
Modding tutorial series: Making a Religion mod
- Civ 5 Modding Tutorial 1: Foundation lesson - In this first tutorial of the series, learn the fundamentals of modding Civ 5, from the four levels of modding to examples showing how to harness the full power of the Civ 5 engine.
- Civ 5 Modding Tutorial 2: Religion Mod - XML - In this tutorial, learn all about creating a Mod and XML files! This tutorial covers creating a mod in ModBuddy, XML file structure, adding a new unit to the game and how to get a mod from ModBuddy to the game. The entire process from installing ModBuddy to playing your Mod explained in one simple blog!
Advanced Modding (not for the light-hearted)
- Skinning Civ 5 & Custom Game Screens - This blog is a BIG ONE! In the blog I detail exactly how to create a new skin for the front end menus of Civ 5. Then probably one of the coolest modding features of Civ 5 are explained, when I show you how to create your own custom game screen!
- GUI Buttons and Popups The Right Way - Using this process you'll ensure modular GUI elements and simplicity for your players.